Saturday, March 22, 2008
Baby Boy Arrives!
Went to the doctor on Thursday afternoon and was 3 cm. Dr. Caron was on call Saturday and said "we'll see you then". Spooky thing was she was on call the Saturday I went into labor with Anna, the Saturday before Easter. The stars were strangely aligning as all the coincidences were in my favor to have the baby on Easter again. Within a couple hours (4:30-5), I started to have some pain in my back. It felt pretty bad, but it was coming, but not going so I wasn't convinced it was contractions. By 7, I called the PETU (prenatal nurse line for hospital) and they said to try and keep track of the pain, drink some water and lay down. If things didn't improve, it'd be time to come in. Once we started keeping track, the pains were coming every 10 minutes and then went to every 5 minutes for about a half hour. I called the nurse line again and they said it was probably time to come in and get checked. We called in the reinforcements (the grandma crew) with my mom pulling shift until grandma Rhonda could arrive. Here's a picture of me then:
Shortly after putting Anna to bed and mom arriving (9 PM), my water broke...I knew this wasn't going to be a drill then! Paul and I were glad we called people when we did. We arrived at the hospital where my water broke more while I was trying to walk into the emergency room. My contractions were getting a lot more painful and when I was checked around 9:30 pm, I was 5 cm. Things moved very quickly from there. I was moved to a birthing room very fast and tried going epidural free, but opted for a narcotic in my IV. Getting an IV was very tricky as my contractions were so frequent and intense it was hard to sit still. Finally got the drugs around 11 PM, but they only took the edge off for about 2 rounds of contractions. I think was progressing so quickly it was hard for anything to help. I felt like I needed to push by 11:30, but when I was checked was only 7 CM at 11:45. I was yelling "epidural now please" when another nurse checked me around 11:53 "it's time to push now, but wait...we have to get the nurses". No epidural for me. Doctors finally arrived (it felt like forever for a girl that wanted to push) and baby boy (named 3/21) arrived at 11:59 PM on Thursday, March 20. Almost born on March 21, he is already keeping us on our toes! He weighed in at 7 lbs, 11 ounces and was 21 inches long. We quickly tried to get rested for a long night ahead of us. It was hard for me to sleep, I was so excited! As things moved so quickly , we didn't have our camera until the next morning. We'll post pictures from first day in another blog.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I can't believe they made you wait to push! I've heard that faster labors are more painful, which is hard to fathom for me because I was in labor almost 24 hours and it hurt pretty frickin bad! Yay for you with no epi, you're a strong woman!!!!
Post a Comment